Diagnosis of Sinus Histiocytosis with Massive Lymphadenopathy (Rosai-Dorfman Disease) by Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in a Paediatric patient
Rosai-Dorfman Disease (RDD) is also known as Sinus Histiocytosis of Massive Lymphadenopathy (SHML). Clinically Rosai-Dorfman Disease is characterized by massive, painless, bilateral cervical lymph node enlargement, often mimics lymphoma. Microscopically, it shows dilatation of lymphatic sinuses occupied by numerous lymphocytes and proliferation of histiocytes with abundant pale eosinophilic cytoplasm containing engulfed lymphocytes or plasma cells- emperipolesis.
2. Kushwaha R, Ahluwalia C, Sipayya V. Diagnosis of sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy (Rosai-Dorfman Disease) by fine needle aspiration cytology. Journal of Cytology/Indian Academy of Cytologists. 2009 ;26(2):83.
3. Sall A, Touré AO, Ndiaye FS, Sene A, Sall FB, Faye BF, Seck M, Diop S. Rosai Dorfman disease diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration cytology in a young man with HIV infection. Clinical Case Reports. 2015 ;3(10):879.
4. Das DK, Gulati A, Bhatt NC, Sethi GR. Sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy (Rosai‐Dorfman disease): Report of two cases with fine‐needle aspiration cytology. Diagnostic cytopathology. 2001 ;24(1):42-5.
5. Deshpande AH, Nayak S, Munshi MM. Cytology of sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy (Rosai‐Dorfman disease). Diagnostic cytopathology. 2000 1;22(3):181-5.
6. RallapalliRajyalakshmi MA, Swathi Y, Chakravarthi R, Reddy JB, Priscilla MB. Cytological diagnosis of Rosai–Dorfman disease: A study of twelve cases with emphasis on diagnostic challenges. Journal of Cytology. 2020 ;37(1):46.
7. Garza-Guajardo R, García-Labastida LE, Rodríguez-Sánchez IP, Gómez-Macías GS, Delgado-Enciso I, Sánchez Chaparro MM, Barboza-Quintana O. Cytological diagnosis of Rosai-Dorfman disease: A case report and revision of the literature. Biomedical reports. 2017 1;6(1):27-31.
8. Lim MS, Straus SE, Dale JK, et al.Pathological findings in human autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome. Am J Pathol.1998;153(5):1541-1550.
9. Maric I, Pittaluga S, Dale JK, et al. Histologic features of sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy in patients with autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome. Am J Surg Pathol. 2005;29(7):903-911.
10. Jena M. Diagnosis of rosai-dorfman disease by fine needle aspiration cytology in a case with cervical Lymphadenopathy and Nasal Mass. Online Journal of health and Allied Sciences. 2011 30;10(2).
Copyright (c) 2021 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.