A study of leukemias Profile in central India
Introduction: Leukemia was considered as a rare disease few years back. However, it is increasing in incidence and prevalence slowly and steadily. Leukemias are euplastic proliferations of haematopoietic cells and form a major proportion of haematopoietic neoplasms that are diagnosed worldwide.
Objective: To find out the incidence of four major types of leukemias in central India.
Methods: Total 73 cases were selected from in and out patient departments of Gandhi Medical College and associated Hamidia Hospital Bhopal over a period from Oct 2013 to Nov 2014. Diagnosis was based on peripheral blood count, peripheral blood smear and bone marrow examination for morphology along with cytochemistry study whenever required.
Results: Out of 73 cases on final diagnosis, 23 cases (31.51%) were of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemias, 11 cases (15.07%) were of Acute Myeloblastic Leukemias, 35 cases (47.97%) were of Chronic Myeloid Leukemias, 1 case (1.37%) is of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and 3 cases (4.11%) were Undiagnosed which were referred to higher centers.
Conclusion: The present study revealed that Chronic leukemia was more common than acute leukemia with Chronic Myeloid Leukemias being the most common type, followed by Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemias, Acute Myeloblastic Leukemias and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.
2. WHO 1999. Health situation in the South East Asia Region 1994-1997, Regional Office for SEAR, New Delhi, 1999.
3. Parkin DM, Whelam SL, Ferlay J, Raymond L, Young J, eds., Cancer incidence in five continents, Vol VII IARC Scientific publications number 143 Lyon 1997, International agency for research on cancer pp 804-913.
4. National cancer Registry programme, consolidated report of population based cancer registries 1990-96. Incidence and distribution of cancer Indian council of Medical Research, New Delhi, Aug 2001.
5. Prakash S, Ramamurthi, Gopalan R, Aurora AL. Leukaemias at Pondicherry. Indian J Cancer. 1981 Mar;18(1):1-6. [PubMed]
6. Shome DK, Ghosh K, Mohanty D, Das KC. Leukaemia in north-west India. Acta Haematol. 1985;73(4):244. [PubMed]
7. D'Costa G, Siddiqui HM, Pradhan RM, Gupte SS. Pattern of leukemias: a ten-year incidence study of 242 cases. J Postgrad Med. 1989 Oct;35(4):191-5. [PubMed]
8. B, Ghose S, Ray RN. Incidence of leukaemia. (An analysis of 544 cases studied in Calcutta). J Assoc Physicians India. 1962 Dec;10:673-6.
9. Varghese PR, Elayidom NB, Joseph CD, Kumar S. Epidemiological observations on leukaemia in Kerala (A study of 1016 cases over three years), Ind J Haematol, 1984;2:15-17.
10. Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Diseases, 7th Edition. Elsevier Publications, 1999. Pg. 232-37.
11. Harris NL, Jaffe ES,Vardiman JW, Stein H, Diabold J, Flandrin G. WHO Classification of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues- Introduction. In: Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Vardiman JW, editors. Pathology and genetics of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon France: IARC press; 2008: p 1-15.
12. Salkar AB, Patrikar A, Bothale K, Malore S, Salkar A, Modani S. Clinicohematological evaluation of leukemias in a tertiary care hospital. IOSR-JDMS. 2014;13:126-34
13. McKenna RW. Multifaceted approach to the diagnosis and classification of acute leukemias. Clin Chem. 2000 Aug;46(8 Pt 2):1252-9. [PubMed]
14. Arber DA, Cousar J. Hematopoeitic Tumors: Principles of pathologic diagnosis. In: Greer JP, Rodgers GM, Foerster J, Paraskevas F, Lukens JN, Glader B, editors. Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology.13th edition, vol 2. Philadelphia: Lipincotts Williams and Wilkins; 2014: p 1663- 68.
15. Radha RatheemI NAKSHI Vashisht, Ashok Kumar, Sunita Singh. Incidence of acute and chronic forms of leukemia In Haryana. Int. J of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014;6(2):323-325.
16. Gunz FW. The epidemiology and genetics of the chronic leukaemias. Clin Haematol. 1977 Feb;6(1):3-20.
17. Kumar L, Kumari M, Kumar S, Kochupillai V, Singh R, Clinical and laboratory features at diagnosis in 437 patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia: An experience at tertiary care centre, In: Kumar L(ed). Progress in hematologic oncology, New York: The advanced research foundation 2003;83-98.
18. Kulshrestha R, Sah SP. Pattern of occurrence of leukemia at a teaching hospital in eastern region of Nepal - a six year study. JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2009 Jan-Mar;48(173):35-40.
19. Vasavada PS, Akbar Ali and DP Mukherjee Clinical studies in leukemia- A review of 100 cases in symposium in leukemia. Leukemia journal of associations Phy India, 1962;9:357.
20. Kushwaha MR, Bagchi M, Mehrotra RM. Leukaemias at Lucknow--a study of 200 cases. Indian J Cancer. 1978 Sep;15(3):28-34. [PubMed]
21. Rani S, Beohar PC, Mohanty TK, Mathur MD. Leukaemic pattern in Delhi--a ten year study of 490 cases. Indian J Cancer. 1982 May-Jun;19(2):81-6. [PubMed]
22. Jaya Bhaskar Baviskar, Incidence of acute and chronic leukemias in rural area at tertiary care teaching hospital: a five years of study, Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology, October-December 2016;3(4);710-713.
23. Radha Rathee, Minakshi Vashist, Ashok Kumar, Sunita Singh, Incidence of acute and chronic forms of leukemia in Haryana; International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences; 2014;6(2):42-45.
24. Menezes S, Malik GB. A study of leukaemia in Goa. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 1977 Apr;20(2):83-90.
25. Prakash S, Ramamurthi, Gopalan R, Aurora AL. Leukaemias at Pondicherry. Indian J Cancer. 1981 Mar;18(1):1-6. [PubMed]
26. Advani SH, Jussawala DJ, Nagaraj RD, Gangadharan P, Shetty PA. A study of 1226 leukemia cases-Epidemiologic and end result analysis. The Indian J of Cancer, 1979; 16: 8–17
27. Modak H, Kulkarni SS, Kadakol GS, Hiremath SV, Patil BR, Hallikeri U, Gai PB. Prevalence and risk of leukemia in the multi-ethnic population of North Karnataka. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12(3):671-5. [PubMed]
28. Chen B., Huang Z., Zhang X., Ou-Yang J., Li J., Zhai Y. et al. An epidemiological investigation of leukemia incidence between 2003 and 2007 in Nanjing, China. J Hematol Oncol 2010;3:21.
Copyright (c) 2018 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.