Study of blood donor profile in a blood bank attached to a medical college hospital - a retrospective study
Background: Blood Transfusion Services (BTS) are the vital part of modern health care system without which efficient medical care is impossible. To make blood donation safe and increase the confidence of the masses in voluntary blood donation, many safety measures are implemented by the blood transfusion community. The most important of all safety measures is donor selection. Stringent, meticulous and serious donor screening is necessary to afford protection to blood donors and recipients.
Aim & Objectives: The aim of this study was to document the current rate and reasons for donor deferral in our tertiary care Centre.
Materials and Methods: This retrospective record based study was carried out for whole blood donors at Dr. B R Ambedkar Medical College Hospital Blood bank.
Results: In our study the majority of the registered donors were replacement donors (92.2%). Total 2556 people registered for donating blood during the study period (5 years), of whom 2140(83.7%) were males. 176 donors were deferred by medical officer based on detailed medical history and brief physical examination of donors with regard to hemoglobin (Anaemia), blood pressure (hypertension), temperature (hyperthermia/fever), and pulse irregularity and rate. The majority of donors were deferred for temporary reasons (61.3%) and others were permanently deferred.
Conclusion: The donor deferral rates and reasons for deferral for blood donation are important issues to be highlighted among blood donors, general public, in the blood banks and hospitals. We can add a significant number of donors by recruiting back a large number of temporarily deferred donors by remotivating them after addressing the reason for deferral.
2. Nanik J, Vinit G, Geeta P, Shruti A, Neena K, G Ali. Analysis of predonation blood donor deferral characteristics in Ajmer (Rajasthan) region . International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health 2016;5(12):2436-42.
3. Rateesh S, Gajendra N G, Akanksha D. Donor awareness: Key to successful voluntary blood donation. 16 Oct 2012. doi: 1 10.12688/f1000research.1-29.
4. Preeti B A, Divyesh G, Sajjan S S, Sujanani S. Pre-donation Deferral of Blood Donors in Tertiary Care Hospital Attached to Medical College in Southern Rajasthan. J Pharm Biomed Sci 2016;06(07):460–463.
5. Girish C.J., ChandrasheKhar T.N., Ramesh B.K., KanTiKar SM. Pre-Donation Deferral of Whole Blood Donors in District Transfusion Centre. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012;6(1): 47-50.
6. M Vimal, S Sowmya, A Nishanthi and G Ramya. Evaluation of Blood Donor Deferral Causes: A Retrospective Study from South India. Annals of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2016;3(6):605-11.
7. Amit S, Prarthana J, Grishama B A, Kamlesh J S. A study on analysis of blood donation deferral during blood donation camp at tertiary-care teaching hospital in south Gujarat region. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health 2016;5(5):894-97.
8. Krishna M C, Sharada.M S, Harish S G, Raman M H. An Analysis of Pre-Donation Deferral of Blood Donors in a Teritiary Care Teaching Hospital Blood Bank Unit, Tumkur, Karnataka, India. International Journal of Healthcare Sciences 2014;2(2):258-62.
9. Birjandi F, Gharehbaghian A, Delavari A, Rezaie N, Maghsudlu M. Blood donor deferral pattern in Iran. Arch Iran Med. 2013 Nov;16(11):657-60. doi: 0131611/AIM.009. [PubMed]
10. Unnikrishnan B, Rao P, Kumar N, Ganti S, Prasad R, Amarnath A. Profile of blood donors and reasons for deferral in coastal South India. Australas Med J 2011;4(7):379–85.
11. Sundar P, Sangeetha SK, Seema DM, Marimuthu P, Shivanna N. Predonation deferral of blood donors in South Indian set-up: An analysis. Asian J Transfusion Sc. 2010; 4(2):112-15.
12. Müller-Steinhardt M, Weidmann C, Wiesneth M, et al. Donor deferral rates after the implementation of a New German blood donor questionnaire. Transfus Med Hemother. 2012;39(1):17-22. doi: 10.1159/000335581.
13. Rabeya Y, Rapiaah M, Rosline H, Ahmed SA, Zaidah WA, Roshan TM. Blood pre-donation deferrals-a teaching hospital experience. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2008;39(3):571-4. [PubMed]
14. Talonu T. Causes of volunteer blood donor rejection in Papua New Guinea. P N G Med J. 1983 Sep-Dec;26(3-4):195-7.
15. Chaudhary RK, Gupta D, Gupta RK. Analysis of donor-deferral pattern in a voluntary blood donor population. Transfusion Med. 1995;5(3):209–12.
16. Lim JC, Tien SL, Ong YW. Main causes of pre-donation deferral of prospective blood donors in the Singapore Blood Transfusion Service. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1993 May;22(3):326-31. [PubMed]
17. Custer B, Johnson ES, Sullivan SD, Hazlet TK, Ramsey SD, Hirschler NV, Murphy EL, Busch MP. Quantifying losses to the donated blood supply due to donor deferral and miscollection. Transfusion. 2004 Oct;44(10):1417-26. [PubMed]
18. Ranveet K, Sabita B, Neelam M. A Reappraisal of under lying causes in donor deferral. Ann Natl Acad Med Sci. 2002;38:93–9.
19. Lawson-Ayayi S, Salmi LR. Epidemiology of blood collection in France. Eur J Epidemiol. 1999 Mar;15(3):285-92.
20. Shaz BH, James AB, Hillyer KL, Schreiber GB, Hillyer CD. Demographic patterns of blood donors and donations in a large metropolitan area. J Natl Med Assoc. 2011 Apr;103(4):351-7. [PubMed]
21. Ngoma AM, Goto A, Sawamura Y, Nollet KE, Ohto H, Yasumura S. Analysis of blood donor deferral in Japan: characteristics and reasons. Transfus Apher Sci. 2013;49(3):655–60. doi: 10.1016/j.transci.2013.06.020. Epub 2013 Jul 26.
22. Gülen H, Tüzün F, Ayhan Y, Erbay A, Oztürk E, Inan S, Vergin C. The evaluation of blood donor deferral causes. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006 Mar;23(2):91-4. [PubMed]
23. Bahadur S, Jain S, Goel RK, Pahuja S, Jain M. Analysis of blood donor deferral characteristics in Delhi, India. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2009;40(5):1087–91. [PubMed]
24. Ekwere TA, Ino-Ekanem M, Motilewa OO, et al. Pattern of blood donor deferral in a tertiary hospital, south-south, Nigeria: A three-year study review. Int J Blood Transfus Immunohematol. 2014;4:7–13. DOI: 10.5348/ijbti-2014-14-OA-2.
25. Shah SD, Shah MC, Bhatnagar NM, Gajjar MD, Soni SA, Patel TA. Analysis of blood donor deferral characteristics in a tertiary care hospital in a blood bank—a review. SEAJCRR 2013;2(5):389–95.
26. Rathod K, Gupta M, Shah M. Analysis of blood donor deferral characteristics in a blood bank at a tertiary care hospital attached to medical college Gujarat. Biennial J GAPM. 2012;4(2):85–8.
27. Charles KS, Hughes P, Gadd R, et al.: Evaluation of blood donor deferral causes in the Trinidad and Tobago National Blood Transfusion Service. Transfus Med. 2010; 20(1):11–14. [PubMed]
28. Agnihotri N: Whole blood donor deferral analysis at a centre in Western India. Asian J Transfus Sci. 2010; 4(2):116–22.
29. Ali AM, Goldsmith CH, McAvoy AT, Ali MA, Blajchman MA. A prospective study evaluating the lowering of hemoglobin standards for blood donors. Transfusion. 1989;29(3):268–72. [PubMed]
30. Halperin D, Baetens J, Newman B. The effect of short-term, temporary deferral on future blood donation. Transfusion. 1998 Feb;38(2):181-3. [PubMed]