Adenocarcionma Of Mullerian Origin masquerading as an ovarian tumour- a rare case report.
Objective: To create awareness about this rare tumour and the way it can mislead the clinician into believing it to be of an ovarian origin. Case report: A 50 years old postmenopausal female presented with a partly solid-partly cystic mass noted arising from the mesentery of sigmoid colon, obliterating the pouch of douglas and adhered to the posterior surface of uterus and right adnexa. The histopa thological features were suggestive of Adenocarcinoma of Mullerian origin. Conclusion: Great caution and precision are needed to ascertain the origin and management of these tumours as they carry a bad prognosis.
2. Piek JM, van Diest PJ, Zweemer RP, Jansen JW, Poort-Keesom RJ, Menko FH, et al. Dysplastic changes in prophylactically removed Fallopian tubes of women predisposed to developing ovarian cancer. J Pathol.2001;195(4):451–6. doi:10.1002/path.1000. [PubMed]
3. Schorge JO, Muto MG, Lee SJ, Huang LW, Welch WR, Bell DA, Keung EZ, Berkowitz RS, Mok SC. BRCA1-related papillary serous carcinoma of the peritoneum has a unique molecular pathogenesis. Cancer Res. 2000;60:1361–1364. [PubMed]
4. Hou T, Liang D, He J, et al. Primary peritoneal serous carcinoma: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study of six cases. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;5(8):762–9 doi: 10.4103/0973-1075.132653.
5. Phillips V, Kelly P, McCluggage WG. Increased p16 expression in high-grade serous and undifferentiated carcinoma compared with other morphologic types of ovarian carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2009 Mar;28(2):179-86. doi: 10.1097/PGP.0b013e318182c2d2.
6. Cameron RI, Ashe P, O'Rourke DM, Foster H, McCluggage WG. A panel of immunohistochemical stains assists in the distinction between ovarian and renal clear cell carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2003 Jul;22(3):272-6. [PubMed]
7. Patil RP, Bharambe BM, Mahure AH, Kurdukar MD, Patil AA, Deshpande KA . A case report of primary psammomatous serous adenocarcinoma of the Peritoneum. S Afr J Obstet Gynaecol 2016; 8(1):1–3. doi.org/10.1080/20742835.2015.1116186.
8. Fowler JM, Nieberg RK, Schooler TA, Berek JS. Peritoneal adenocarcinoma (serous) of Müllerian type: a subgroup of women presenting with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 1994 Jan;4(1):43-51.